Award season is in full swing, and to celebrate we decided to put together our very own award show: The Spency’s. 2022 was jam-packed with game-changing music, movies, and more. From the album of the year to the actor of the year, we’re covering it all and picking our favorites. So, without further ado, it’s time to kick off The Spency’s 2023! Here are the nominees and winners:
Album of the Year:
- “Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers” – Kendrick Lamar
- “Renaissance” – Beyoncé
- “Harry’s House” – Harry Styles
- “Special” – Lizzo
- “Un Verano Sin Ti” – Bad Bunny
Winner: (C) “Harry’s House” – Harry Styles
This one was close, but there’s no denying Harry Styles’ impact on music in 2022. From the groovy “Music for a Sushi Restaurant” to the incredibly catchy “As It Was,” this album is hard to beat. Simply put, he rocked the entire world this year and we expect even bigger things in the near future.
Best Single of 2022:
- “About Damn Time” – Lizzo
- “Bad Habit” – Steve Lacy
- “Break My Soul” – Beyoncé
- “As It Was” – Harry Styles
- “Black Summer” – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Winner: (B) “Bad Habit” – Steve Lacy
Steve Lacy’s “Bad Habit” was literally everywhere this past year. The insanely talented independent artist has always made beautiful, unique music, but this is the song that turned him into a star. Queue this track and turn the volume to the max. We’re sure you’ll be singing along by the end.
Rock Album of the Year:
- “God Save the Animals” – Alex G
- “Blue Rev” – Alvvays
- “Dropout Boogie” – The Black Keys
- “Lucifer on the Sofa” – Spoon
- “Unlimited Love” – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Winner: (B) “Blue Rev” – Alvvays
Going up against powerhouses like The Black Keys, Spoon, Alex G, and the RHCP is no easy task, but the new album by Alvvays is just too damn good. With “Blue Rev,” the band perfected their sound and created a project that’s a stellar listen from start to finish.
Movie of the Year:
- “Nope” (Directed by Jordan Peele)
- “The Menu” (Direct by Mark Mylod)
- “Everything Everywhere All at Once” (Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert)
- “Top Gun: Maverick” (Directed by Joseph Kosinski)
- “The Fabelmans” (Directed by Steven Spielberg)
- “Avatar: The Way of Water” (Directed by James Cameron)
Winner: (C) “Everything Everywhere All at Once” (Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert)
Visually striking and completely original, this stunning flick took viewers for the ultimate ride. This movie is filled with incredible performances, trippy fight sequences, and a story that makes us smile, laugh, cry, and cheer.
Performance of the Year:
- Austin Butler as Elvis Presley (“Elvis”)
- Janelle Monae as Andi Brand (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”)
- Tom Cruise as Capt. Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell (“Top Gun: Maverick”)
- Michelle Yeoh as Evelyn Wang (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
- Brendan Fraser as Charlie (“The Whale”)
- Cate Blanchett as Lydia Tár (“Tár”)
Winner: (D) Michelle Yeoh as Evelyn Wang (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Michelle Yeoh’s performance in “Everything Everywhere All at Once” was jaw-dropping. Nobody could’ve played the role better than her. She truly brought her A-game and put this movie over the top.
Best Performance of the Year:
- Joe Mantello as Gino Barelli (“AHS: NYC”)
- Zendaya as Rue Bennett (“Euphoria”)
- Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman (“Better Call Saul”)
- Toni Collette as Kathleen Peterson (“The Staircase”)
- Evan Peters as Jeffrey Dahmer (“DAHMER-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”)
- Jason Sudeikis as Ted Lasso (“Ted Lasso”)
Winner: (B) Zendaya as Rue Bennett (“Euphoria”)
People just can’t get enough of Euphoria, and Zendaya’s iconic character is clearly the fan favorite. Playing Rue Bennett has to be intense, emotional, and at some points even painful. But Zendaya conquered the role and turned in a legendary performance.
Best TV Series of the Year:
- “Only Murders in the Building”
- “The White Lotus”
- “Better Call Saul”
- “Ted Lasso”
Winner: (A) “Only Murders in the Building”
The star-studded cast of Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez came back for season 2 of “Only Murders in the Building,” and they didn’t disappoint. The mystery will have your eyes glued to your TV, and the comedy will have you rolling on the floor. It doesn’t get better than this!
Congrats to the winners! For more TV, Movies, and Gaming content, be sure to keep up with The Inspo Spot. Also check out Spencer’s t shirt collection so that you can rep your favorite artists, movies, and TV series!